Tuesday, November 1, 2016

tarot blog hop: the 13th card

http://www.inlinkz.com/new/view.php?id=674424
Click the photo above to check out the rest of the blog hop!

This month, I'm doing the very first tarot blog hop hosted by Tarot Rebels Facebook Group. We're focusing on the 13th card of tarot: DEATH.

In my Tarot Everywhere deck, I used an image of an expired parking meter to represent the energies of this card. In case you've never used a parking meter, it's a device used to collect money in exchange for parking for a limited amount of time. Typically, the time limit is 2 hours. If you do something called feeding the meter, that's a no-no. It's when you try to go beyond your time limit which of course isn't fair to others. If you're caught feeding the meter, you could receive a citation or fine. When your time limit is up, the TIME EXPIRED sign appears and it means it's time to move on.


The energy of the Death card is like a parking meter because it simply means that you're putting your energy (coins) into a cycle of experience for a particular time period (time limit), and when that time is over, you move on to the next cycle of experience.

SPREAD
I developed the Parking Meter Spread to demonstrate this pattern.



Time Limit: The purpose and focus of the current cycle of experience.

Insert Coin: What you bring to this cycle of experience in terms of your energy, outlook and actions. Compare this card to the Time Limit card. They should be in sync, showing that your energy matches the focus of the cycle.

Feeding the Meter: Challenges you can expect if you're not in sync with the current cycle.

Time Expired: How to prepare for the next cycle.


SAMPLE READING
Here's my own reading using this spread.

Tarot Everywhere and Oracle Everywhere decks

Time Limit: King of Pentacles. The purpose and focus of this cycle is hard work. This King is a worker, not a delegator. He's out in the fields working all day long and he's happy to do it to provide for his family and community. This card tells me that I need to be working hard to shore up my financial future.

Insert Coin: 6 of Swords. This card depicts sailing across a lake. It has a very different energy than the King of Pentacles. This shows I'm taking things too easy right now, just floating along and not putting in the effort necessary to match this current cycle. I also interpret this card as going through a difficult transition often with help from others. Indeed, this is what I'm experiencing and it's a challenge to focus on work and material concerns. This card's placement next to the King of Pentacles reveals a directional cue of running away from or trying to escape from hard work.

Feeding the Meter: Ace of Pentacles. This shows that being out of sync with this cycle will impede future growth and manifestation. The King of Pentacles is the final card in the pentacles set. The Ace represents starting over in a new phase of growth. If I don't put in the hard work now, I won't be able to reap the benefits of this new phase.

Time Expired: Face Your Fears. To prepare for the next cycle, I must face my fears. This seems to resonate most with the escape aspect of the 6 of Swords. Perhaps there's something I'm running away from or am afraid to deal with directly. It looks like I'm going to have to face it head on in order to make a smooth transition into the next cycle.

Purchase Tarot Everywhere & Oracle Everywhere

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your spread, I'm going to give it a shot. I very much like the idea of putting a time limit for a phase in there ourselves rather than allowing the reaper man to beat us to it! The parking meter is a wonderful analogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Fay! Glad you liked the post. I didn't put in a specific time period for each cycle because I think it changes but I have found that the cycles often begin around the new moon.

      Delete
  2. That is certainly a different take on death than I had ever considered, and has sparked a lot of thought within me. I also, greatly enjoyed the spread you came up with and plan to try it out myself here soon.

    How very thought provoking, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your parking meter analogy, it makes the concepts held within the Death card totally accessible and friendly - what a marvelous parallel to draw!

    I will look forward to trying this spread out and sharing it on our Tarot Rebels page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that! I look forward to seeing your reading!

      Delete
  4. What a great way to explore the idea of death personally. This blog hop has been so interesting- to see how each person incorporates the angles of death/transition and expiration (!). I'll have to keep 'expired' in mind next time 13 comes up in a reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing that spread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can tell I am a country bumpkin. I never knew you couldn't.. re feed a meter. Huh things you learn. I have to say I love the expired meter as the death card. Great deck. I am also a spread fanatic so I really appreciate you sharing that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I'm glad you like the concept and the spread. Enjoy and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Interesting comparison with a parking meter. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete